Loading…

Looking to help your church and family stay connected to the Word while social distancing?
Check out our free church library, church online resources, and family resources.

Ugarit
Dictionaries
The Lexham Bible Dictionary
Ugarit
Ugarit An ancient city-state and important Late Bronze Age center of Northwest Semitic culture.
The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary
Ugarit
UGARIT (35°35´N; 35°45´E). Tell Ras Shamra, near the Mediterranean coast of Syria, is the site of ancient Ugarit, capital of a kingdom of the same name that flourished in the 2d millennium b.c. Occupied since Neolithic times, it was abandoned around 1180 b.c. (with the exception of minimal later occupation).
Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible
Ugarit
Ugarit. Capital city of a powerful city-state in northwest Syria during the 2nd millennium bc. Though the city is not mentioned in the Bible, it is a significant archaeological site that illuminates OT language and history. Ugarit, also known as Ras Shamra (Fennel Hill), was located just east of the
The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Revised
Ugarit; Ugaritic
Ugarit; Ugaritic oo̅ʹgə-rit, yū-gäʹrit. An ancient city-state on the Mediterranean N of modern Latakia. Excavations of the site of Râs Shamrah, ancient Ugarit, which have brought to light a city on the Syrian coast from the 14th and 13th cent. b.c., are of greatest importance for biblical studies.
Tyndale Bible Dictionary
Ugarit
UGARIT* City in northwest Syria during the second millennium bc. Though the city is not mentioned in the Bible, it is a significant archaeological site that illuminates OT language and history. Ugarit was located just east of the Mediterranean coast, approximately 175 miles (281.6 kilometers) north of
The New Bible Dictionary, Third Edition
Ugarit
UGARIT is modern Ras Shamra, located 1 km from the Mediterranean Sea and 10km N of Syrian Latakia. C. F. A. Schaeffer began excavations in 1928, first at Ugarit’s port by the bay of Minet el-Beida, then at Ras Shamra until 1969. M. Yon has directed the work since 1978. Although occupied as early as the
Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible
Ugarit
UgaritAn ancient city on the north coast of the eastern Mediterranean, located under a mound now known in Arabic as Ras (esh-)Shamra (“Fennel Cape”). It flourished in the 2nd millennium b.c.e. until its destruction ca. 1200. The mound is located ca. 1 km. (.6 mi.) from the Mediterranean Sea and ca.
Eerdmans Bible Dictionary
Ugarit
Ugarit [ōōˊgə rĭt].† Ancient Syrian coastal city and kingdom, noted for the find of texts yielding abundant information on Late Bronze Age culture and having important implications for the background of the Old Testament. The site at modern Ras Shamra (Arab. Râs esh-Shamra “hill of fennel”) is.
The Archaeological Encyclopedia of the Holy Land
Ugarit
UGARIT An ancient town in northern Syria whose remains have been identified at Ras Shamra; situated near a small harbor named Minet el-Beida (‘white harbor’). Excavation of the site began in 1929 under C.F.A. Schaeffer and G. Chenet, on behalf of the French Academy. The site was inhabited as early as
Catholic Bible Dictionary
Ugarit
UGARIT A commercial seaport on the coast of ancient Syria that was the capital of a major city-state in the second millennium b.c. At the location now identified with Ras Shamra the remains of the ancient city were discovered by chance in 1928 and excavations were undertaken by a team of French archaeologists
Nelson’s New Illustrated Bible Dictionary
Ugarit
UGARIT [YOU guh rit] — an ancient Canaanite city (modern Ras Shamra) in western Syria. Ugarit was situated about 40 kilometers (25 miles) southwest of Antioch, about one-half mile from the Mediterranean Sea and directly east of the island of Cyprus. Although Ugarit is not mentioned in the Bible, it is
Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary
Ugarit
UGARIT (Ū găʹ rĭt) Important city in Syria whose excavation has provided tablets giving the closest primary evidence available for reconstructing the Canaanite religion Israel faced.Location Ruins of the ancient city of Ugarit lie on the Mediterranean coast about nine miles north of Latakia. The