Keilah of Judah
Excerpt from the Lexham Bible Dictionary, the most advanced Bible dictionary.
A city of the Shephelah assigned to the tribe of Judah (Josh 15:44). David saved the city from Philistine attackers (1 Sam 23:1–5). However, the city’s inhabitants planned to turn him over to Saul, so David and his men fled the city (1 Sam 23:7, 11–13).
Lexham Bible Dictionary
The most advanced Bible Dictionary
The most advanced Bible dictionary as a part of Biblia Plus, which includes everything you need to take your Bible study to the next level. For less than $1 a week, you'll get devotionals, Bible study guides, thematic studies, and much more!
The Lexham Bible Dictionary
The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary
KEILAH (PLACE) [Heb qĕʿı̂lâ (קְעִילָה)]. A fortified town of Judah (Josh 15:44; Kallai HGB, 335). Keilah was located in the E part of the Shephelah about 13.5 km NW of Hebron. The important role Keilah played in OT history is reflected in references to the site both in the Bible (Josh 15:44; 1 Samuel
Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible
Keilah (Place). City assigned to Judah’s tribe (Jos 15:44; 1 Chr 4:19), located in the southeast Shephelah near the Philistine border. It is identified with modern Khirbet Qula, 8½ miles northwest of Hebron.David led a daring expedition to Keilah to deliver it from marauding Philistine bands, who were
The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Revised
Keilah kə-īʹlə [Heb. qeʿîlâ]. A fortified city of Judah in the Shephelah, about 13.5 km (8.5 mi) NW of Hebron, named with Nezib, Achzib, and Mareshah in Josh. 15:43f. It was very high for a city in the Shephelah, being over 450 m (1500 ft) above the Mediterranean Sea. The city had gates and bars
Tyndale Bible Dictionary
KEILAH (Place) City assigned to Judah’s tribe (Jos 15:44; 1 Chr 4:19), located in the southeast Shephelah near the Philistine border. It is identified with modern Khirbet Qila, eight and a half miles (13.7 kilometers) northwest of Hebron.David led a daring expedition to Keilah to deliver it from marauding
The HarperCollins Bible Dictionary (Revised and Updated)
Keilah (kee-i´luh), a town of Judah (Josh. 15:44; 1 Chron. 4:19) identified as modern Khirbet Qila, located eight and a half miles northwest of Hebron. It was repaired by postexilic Levites (Neh. 3:17–18), but it is more prominent as a town rescued by David from Philistine assault during threshing season
The Wycliffe Bible Encyclopedia
KEILAH1. A fortified city in the Shephelah allotted to Judah (Josh 15:44) and mentioned in the Amarna letters as Qilti. Identified with Khirbet Qila it is situated eight miles NW of Hebron and overlooking the N-S route from the Valley of Elah to Hebron. David and his band saved the city from the Philistines
The New Bible Dictionary, Third Edition
KEILAH (Heb. qe‘îlâh). A town in the Shephelah (Jos. 15:43), probably Kelti of Amarna Letters 279–280, 290 (ANET, pp. 289, 487). In Saul’s time, David relieved it from a Philistine attack, but found Saul’s influence too strong for his safety (1 Sa. 23). At the Restoration its territory formed two districts
Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible
Eerdmans Bible Dictionary
The Archaeological Encyclopedia of the Holy Land
KEILAH A fortified town in the Plain (Josh. 15:44, 1 Sam. 23:7). Mentioned in the El Amarna letters, where it is related that the King of Keilah cooperated with the Habiru. David saved the city from the Philistines (1 Sam. 23:1–8) but was forced to leave it (1 Sam. 23:12–13). In the time of Rehoboam
Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible
keltiI. In the Amarna letters the name of the Judean town of Keila (Josh 15:44; 1 Sam 23; 1 Chr 4:29; Neh 3:17–18) is written uruQi-il-te/tu, probably to be pronounced /Qiʿiltu/ (EA 279:12; 280:11, 17; 287:11; 289:28; 290:10.18). Jirku related the name to a god whose name he read as dKi-el-ti (1930).