Loading…
Cuth
Dictionaries
The Lexham Bible Dictionary
Cuth
Cuth (כּוּת‎, kuth; כּוּתָה‎, kuthah; Χουά, Choua; Χουνθά, Chountha). Also called “Cuthah.” A city in Mesopotamia. Sargon II or Shalmaneser V of Assyria repopulated the region of Samaria with residents of Cuth after defeating and deporting the Israelites in 772 bc (2 Kgs 17:24; 30).
The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary
Cuth (Place)
CUTH (PLACE) [Heb kût (כּוּת)]. Var. CUTHAH. A city in S Mesopotamia (2 Kgs 17:24). Inhabited continuously at least from the 3d to the 1st millennia b.c., this city is best known as the center for the cult associated with the realm of the dead and the chief deity of the Mesopotamian underworld, Nergal.
Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible
Cuth, Cuthah
Cuth, Cuthah. Town in southern Babylonia (2 Kgs 17:24), from which some people were taken and relocated in Samaria after the Assyrian conquest (722 bc). The name appears also in Assyrian and Babylonian sources. In 1881–82 Hormuzd Rassam identified Cuthah as an ancient city whose towering ruins are located
The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Revised
Cuthah
Cuthah koothʹə [Heb. kûṯâ; Bab. kûtû; Sum gu-du-a; Gk. Chountha] (2 K. 17:24); CUTH kooth [Heb. kûṯ; Gk. Choua] (v 30). One of the cities from which Sargon of Assyria brought colonists to replace the Israelites he deported from Samaria in 722 b.c. Probably in consequence of their predominating
Tyndale Bible Dictionary
Cuth, Cuthah
CUTH*, CUTHAH Town in southern Babylonia (2 Kgs 17:24) from which some people were taken and relocated in Samaria after the Assyrian conquest (722 bc). The name appears also in Assyrian and Babylonian sources. In 1881 Hormuzd Rassam identified Cuthah as an ancient city whose towering ruins are located
The Wycliffe Bible Encyclopedia
Cuth
CUTH, CUTHAH. An ancient city of Babylonia, c. 15 miles NE of Babylon. In 1880 Hormuzd Rassam identified Tel-Ibrahim, a mound about 3,000 feet in circumference and about 280 feet high, as the site.The only mention of Cuth or Cuthah in the OT is found in 2 Kgs 17:24, 30), where it is listed as a source
The New Bible Dictionary, Third Edition
Cuth, Cuthah
CUTH, CUTHAH. An ancient city in Babylonia (Akkad. kûtu from Sumer. gu-du-a), the seat of the god Nergal, whose inhabitants were deported by Sargon to repopulate Samaria (2 Ki. 17:24, 30). The site, represented today by the mound called Tell Ibrahīm, was briefly excavated in 1881–2 by Hormuzd Rassam,
Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible
Cuthah
Cuthah (Heb. kûṯ, kûṯâ; Akk. Kutû) (also CUTH)A major northern city ca. 30 km. (19 mi.) NE of ancient Babylon. The large artificial mound of Tell Ibrāhîm, almost certainly the site of ancient Cuthah, was only briefly excavated in the 1880s and subjected to surface surveys in the 20th century;
Eerdmans Bible Dictionary
Cuthah
Cuthah [kŏothˊə] (Heb. kûṯâ from Akk. kûtû). A Mesopotamian city whose inhabitants the Assyrian king Sargon II deported to Samaria in order to repopulate the region formerly inhabited by the exiled northern tribes (2 Kgs. 17:24; called Cuth at v. 30). The site has been identified as Tell Ibrāhîm,
The Archaeological Encyclopedia of the Holy Land
Cuthah; Cuth
CUTHAH; CUTH One of the cities from which the Assyrians brought settlers to replace the Israelites deported from Samaria in 722 bc (2 Kgs. 17:24, 30). It seems that the men of Cuthah formed the majority of the settlers of Samaria, as the name Cuthite was applied to the inhabitants of the city from that
Catholic Bible Dictionary
Cuth
CUTH A city in Mesopotamia, north of Babylon (2 Kgs 17:30; appears as “Cuthnah” in 1 Kgs 17:24). Cuth was the cultic center of the Mesopotamian god of the underworld, Nergal. When Assyrians conquered the city, the inhabitants were forcibly deported to Samaria by King Sargon II (2 Kgs 17:24). There they
Smith’s Bible Dictionary
Cuth
Cuth, or Cu´thah, one of the countries whence Shalmaneser introduced colonists into Samaria. 2 Kings 17:24, 30. Its position is undecided.