Loading…
Chenoboskion
Dictionaries
The Lexham Bible Dictionary
Chenoboskion
Chenoboskion (Χηνοβόσκιον, Chēnoboskion). The ancient name for Al-Qasr, a settlement near Nag Hammadi. For further information, see this article: Nag Hammadi.
The Wycliffe Bible Encyclopedia
Chenoboskion
CHENOBOSKION. The ancient Gr. name of a village (Coptic Shénésit) in upper Egypt where a large collection of Gnostic books was discovered. Now called Qases-Sayyad, Chenoboskion lies near the town of Nag Hammadi, some 30 miles NW of Luxor. Here, sometimes in 1945, natives accidentally discovered 13
The New Bible Dictionary, Third Edition
Chenoboskion
CHENOBOSKION (lit. ‘goose-pasture’; Coptic Sheneset), an ancient town in Egypt, E of the Nile, c. 48 km N of Luxor. Here one of the earliest Christian monasteries was founded by Pachomius, c. Ai ad 320. Chenoboskion has acquired new fame because of the discovery at Jabal al-Ṭārif, in its vicinity,
The Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible, Volume 1, A–C
Chenoboskion
Chenoboskion ken′aw-bos′kee-uhn. The site of ancient monastic settlements in Egypt near which the texts of the Nag Hammadi Library were discovered. The modern village is called al-Qaṣr.
The Eerdmans Encyclopedia of Early Christian Art and Archaeology, Volumes 1–3
Chenoboskion
ChenoboskionEgyptian village located in the Thebaid on the eastern side of the Nile river about 7 km east/northeast of Nag Hammadi, where the great bend in the Nile begins (see map 19, C5). C. is Greek for “goose pastures.” The Coptic name for the village was Šeneset, which means “trees of Seth.” The